Saturday, November 3, 2012


A little bit about me..

After a very busy year of remodeling, a final year in college, and a wedding, my husband and I moved in to a small “farm” in Wisconsin. We both have a natural tendency to pursue our interests and these eventually led to goats. It started with two, we got hooked and ended up with a few more. We started dabbling in breeding, milking, cheese making and soap making.

 
After about 3 years we decided to start getting a little more serious with our herd and decided to start working toward our goal : to have a milking herd of Nigerian dwarf goats. I started doing all the research I could and began to buy a few more goats, hoping to get a good spread of genetics so we could focus on breeding them, and then closing our herd.  



Goats Spring of 2012


It was all going well until we decided to have our vet come out to do what we had hoped to be annual testing. …

The vet called.. and

…..Wait, What? She’s Positive for Johne's?...

 
I want to create this blog to share my story.

So what’s my project?

Well, the first goal of “my project” is to try and prevent a similar situation from happening to someone else. However, if someone reading this blog finds themselves in a situation similar, I hope they can  at least learn from my mistakes and my successes. I am also more than happy to share the valuable resources I found while researching this disease.
 
One day I hope to look back on this and hope that the measures that I discuss in the blog are enough to prevent any further cases in my herd. I want to use this blog to be able to give general updates, test result updates, and perhaps share some fun stories about the goats too. I don't believe in hiding any information. I hope that by being 100% truthful about whats going on with my herd that I can gain trust and help people to understand this disease.

 

1 comment:

  1. I also just got news that my beloved Gretta tested positive for Johnes. It is devastating news and I am in the process of re-testing. Thank you so much for starting this blog!
    Michele Nelson

    ReplyDelete